Baked Eggplant Parmigiana
Author: Chef Eli
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 4 tbsp EVOO
- 1 24 oz jar of your favorite marinara or arrabbiata (spicy marinara) sauce
- 8 oz log of fresh mozzarella, sliced into ⅓-inch rounds
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with eggplant slices, making sure there is about ⅓-inch of space between each slice.
- Brush both sides of each slice with EVOO and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and bake for 30-45 minutes or until evenly roasted. Remove from oven.
- In a large and deep baking dish, assemble towers stacked in the following order: one slice of eggplant, one slice of mozzarella, and one slice of eggplant on top. You should have enough ingredients to make 5 to 8 towers. Make sure to leave at least an inch between each tower.
- Pour entire jar of marinara sauce on top of the towers and then place remaining mozzarella on top of each tower.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the mozzarella begins to brown.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!