Spicy Turkish Eggplant Salad
Author: Chef Eli
- 5 tbsp EVOO (plus 1 tbsp to garnish)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic smashed
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (leave in seeds to make it spicier)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 14oz can of crushed tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- In a large dutch oven pot over medium-high heat, sauté red onion in 5 tbsp EVOO for five minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic, red bell pepper, and eggplant, and sauté for another five minutes.
- Add jalapeño pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, sugar, salt, pepper, and crushed tomatoes. Stir until evenly combined.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover the Dutch oven and simmer for approximately 45 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Once the eggplant has thickened and has begun to break down, you will know it is ready.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with 1 tbsp EVOO and cilantro leaves.
- You can serve this salad warm or cold. Enjoy!