Autumn Squash and Crispy Sage Risotto
Author: Chef Eli
- 4 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 large carnival squash, cleaned (skin left on) and chopped into 1" cubes
- 2 large shallots
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 - 6 cups vegetable stock, low sodium
- 2 tbsp half and half
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp pecorino-romano, grated
- ¼ cup sage leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread carnival squash cubes onto baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp EVOO, salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, saute shallots and garlic cloves in 2 tbsp EVOO and 1 tbsp butter for 3 minutes.
- Toss in arborio rice and coat the rice with the EVOO and butter.
- Pour in 2 cups of vegetable stock and stir regularly until the rice thickens.
- Add in the remaining stock, one cup at a time, until the rice is "al dente." You may not need all six cups of stock.
- Stir in half and half, pecorino-romano cheese, salt and pepper and lower heat. Continue stirring regularly.
- In a small saute pan over medium-high heat, crisp the sage leaves in 1 tbsp EVOO. They should only take about 30 second on each side. Remove from heat and let them drain on a paper towel.
- Pour risotto into a deep serving dish. Assemble the carnival squash on top of the risotto. Garnish with the crispy sage leaves and remaining 2 tbsp pecorino-romano.